I haven’t received any letters

I haven’t received any letters stating the IRS needs anymore information from me or I’ve been audited. It’s been 9 weeks and I haven’t received any update from where’s my refund either…

newenglandpro
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi there – you are not alone many people are waiting many weeks for their tax refund!

Here's a list of reasons your income tax refund might be delayed:

Your tax return has errors.

It's incomplete.

Your refund is suspected of identity theft or fraud.

You filed for the earned income tax credit or additional child tax credit.

Your return needs further review.

Your return includes Form 8379 (PDF), injured spouse allocation -- this could take up to 14 weeks to process.

If the delay is due to a necessary tax correction made to a recovery rebate credit, earned income tax or additional child tax credit claimed on your return, the IRS will send you an explanation. If there's a problem that needs to be fixed, the IRS will first try to proceed without contacting you. However, if it needs any more information, it will write you a letter.

The IRS' timeline for processing tax returns is usually within three weeks, but some taxpayers have been waiting months to receive their payments. If there are any errors, or if you filed a claim for an earned income tax credit or the child tax credit, the wait could be pretty lengthy. If you submitted a tax return by mail, the IRS says it could take six to eight weeks to the time it will take for your tax refund to arrive.

Use the IRS' Where's My Refund tool https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Hope this helps! If not reach out to connect again!

Sunny_Tax_Expert
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi Beanpies,

I'm sorry to hear it's been 9 weeks since you filed and have yet to get a status update from the IRS.  In this instance I recommend the following: 

1.  Check you refund status on the IRS website.

2.  Use the IRS website to check for a current tax transcript.

3.  Contact the IRS directly:

The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"