House change

I as a single mother had to sell my home in 2021 and moved in with my boyfriend. We are not married & I 100% supported my 3 children & I. I received no other income and only received UE benefits for this year. Can I still file as head of household as In the past even if I do not own the home we live in any longer? 

AmyCPA
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you provided more than half of the support for your children for all of 2021, then you would still be able to file head of household as it is determined on a full year.  For example, if you provided 100% of your support (even through unemployment) for the first 8 months of the year then are splitting the bills the last 4 months, you would look at the amount you supported for all 12 months.

Thanks!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, does 6/14/21 count as more than half of the year? 

NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

You look at the year as a whole, not broken down by dates or segments.

Add up all the expenses for the kids for the whole year. (Things such as rent or mortgage interest, groceries, medical care, etc.) Call this amount "A" 

Figure out the amount you paid or contributed to their expenses. (This amount can come from whatever source, whether it's wages, unemployment, business income, savings, etc.) Call this amount "B". 

Divide B / A and if the answer is more than 0.5 then you can file as head of household. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post