Unemployment taxes

If you filed your tax return already and got a refund and didn’t put the unemployment in what happens? Was the unemployment taxable ? If so will that affect me next year and I try to file ? 

KrenaS
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you did not include the unemployment income on your 2020 tax return and the amount was less than $10,200 AND your household income was less than $150,000 you do not need to amend your federal return.  However, if you had federal withholding on that income, you would be eligible to get a refund of the withholding and would need to amend your return in order to get the refund.  

If you live in a state that did not adopt the federal exemption of $10,200 of unemployment income, then you would need to amend your state return to include that income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I got 15 from unemployment. I requested for the taxes to be taken out but it wasn’t. So I amend that now ? Even thou I have gotten a refund already ? 

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Hello,

I understand you filed your tax return and did not include your unemployment compensation.  Since your unemployment compensation was greater than $10,200 you will want to file an amended tax return.

First, you'll want to review your return and confirm you did not include the unemployment compensation on your tax return. It would appear on your 2020 Schedule 1 Line 7. 

If you did not include the unemployment compensation on your tax return, then you would need to amend.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/how-to-file-an-amended-return-with-the-irs/L6kO691...

You will need the Form 1099G issued to you by the state that issued your unemployment compensation.  You will enter the data from the Form 1099G on to your amended tax return.

I hope you find this information helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"