lostsage

Can I pay my 2019 taxes even if the IRS hasn't processed them yet?

Here's my situation -
The IRS hasn't processed my 2019 return and I want to pay my 2019 taxes due in full.

I usually have the IRS add any due taxes to my monthly installment payment. I was able to pay off my installment payment plan this year. My 2019 taxes haven't been processed  as of today. I am able to pay the 2019 taxes due in full as of today. Do I mail in a payment, use the online payment system, or do something else?
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@lostsage , in order to reduce  interest and penalty bites, it is very strongly recommended that if you can pay, just  pay now while they are processing the return  ( their current priority is still 2020 returns  / amended 2020s  ).   You can pay at the  www.irs.gov  site using EFPTS  debited directly from your bank -- safest & quickest way.  You can also mail in the check but will need  a 1040-V form for that to make sure  that the monies are posted to your 2019 account.

Is there more I can do for you ?

i don't question that EFTPS is the safest way, but you must enroll. then the IRS issues a letter or e-mail with a passcode. this takes time while penalties and interest are increasing.  you can also use IRS Direct Pay. you can enroll and pay at the same time.  I've used this for years and never had a problem. but make sure you print out the receipt that is offered. the link is on the same page and if you want you can use a debit or credit card but there are fees for using either of these methods.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Mike9241 , I stand corrected -- wanted to say"Direct Pay" -- however severe  memory failure did not allow  and was hoping that once the user is on that IRS page, will indeed see the options. I stand  humbled and corrected-- thank you

pk

Go to www.irs.gov/payments.

You can make a direct payment from your bank account.  Select "balance due", "form 1040" and "2019" from the drop down menus.