E-File rejected - Mailed my Return - Still charged my credit card

My efile was rejected, so I printed my return and mailed a money order for the amount due, but my credit card was still charged for the amount I owed the IRS on my return.   TurboTax specifically said that my card would not be charged unless my efile was accepted.   So now I have a money order (that I can't cancel) on the way to the IRS, plus a credit card charge for the same amount.   How do I get my money back?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The simplest thing to do is just wait. After a few months the IRS will notice the duplicate payment and send you a refund, without your having to do anything.

Are you sure?  You sure it isn't the credit card charge for the Turbo Tax fees? If your efile was Rejected then the payment information didn't go to the IRS at all.

Maybe you efile was Accepted?  You can double check your efile status here     

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/   

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  What does it say?

This just happened to me as well. My credit card was charged but my return was rejected. I do not know what to do as I have spoken to my credit cart company and they assured me that card was charged for the amount. I printed and mailed my return but I have no way to see where my money went.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here to contact us by phone so we can look into this. We are unable to view your return or account here in this public forum. @Finaddict32244

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi.  I originally posted this last year.  Don't worry.  Your card will not be charged.  Even though it looks like it has, in a day or so the transaction will disappear.  

View solution in original post

P.S. don't bother calling the turbo tax people.  They will be no help.  Just know that the transaction will be cancelled in a day or so.