Not sure how to proceed at the "Let's gather your business info"

I'm at a point in the TurboTax interview process where it is not obvious to me how to proceed. I'm on the BUSINESS tab, in the "Business Income and Expenses" sub-tab. The main body of the page says, "Let's gather your business info".  Within that are two tabs; one labeled 2019, the other labeled 2020.

Within that inner tab it says, "Business Income and Expenses | Schedule C, Form 1099-MISC". Under that is a button with a caption of, "Get Extra Help". (What does that do?)

Then under that is a line labeled, "Profit of Loss from Business" with a hyperlink labeled "Learn More". 

On the right side of the inner tab is the values of $0 for 2019 and $0 for 2020. The value of $0 for 2019 is correct - I didn't earn income for 2019. But I did in 2020. Immediately to the right of the $0 for 2020 is a grayed out button with a caption of "Update". (I work as a software developer - whenever I write an application with a grayed out button it ALWAYS means that button is disabled. However, this button, even though it conveys to me that it is disabled, appears that it might not be, because I can move my mouse over it and its background color changes. This, to me, is EXTREMELY confusing!!!!!!!!)

Under that is some static text that says, "We've covered 1 of 5 business sections. Select Next Business Section to continue."

Underneath the inner tab control is another button with a turquoise background with a caption of "Next Business Section". That button I can clearly be clicked.

My confusion is how do I proceed here? I want to enter the income I made for 2020, as well as the expenses I incurred. Do I click the button immediately to the right of $0 under 2020? Or do I click the turquoise button with a caption of "Next Business Section"?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Even though the 'Update' button is grey, in TurboTax a grey background with Update indicates that you have previously visited that section.  This Update button is the one you should use to enter your income and expenses for self-employment.  

The 'Get Extra Help' link will show you some FAQs that may answer some questions about the business section of your return.

All of the hyperlinks that you see will give you additional information about that part of your return.  Click any and all that you wish.  You will not lose your place.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

pfd1
Returning Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

And what happens when you click on the grey UPDATE and it takes you to a blank page?