zigchg
Returning Member

TT Premier Desktop for Mac freezes when removing state data

I’m using TT Premier desktop for Mac and accidentally added DC tax return. I tried to remove it by clicking file -> remove data -> District of Columbia. But TT freezes every time I tried to do so and the cursor becomes a spinning rainbow. I had to force quit my TT. 
Any ideas how I can fix this and removed my DC return? Thanks.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The Windows version requires one to be in Forms Mode to delete a state return.   I don't know if that's true in the Mac version, since I don't use a Mac.

@macuser_22   Are you please able to assist here when you are in the forum today?   Thanks!

zigchg
Returning Member

@mesquitebean thank you for replying! I tried delete the state data in forms mode too. It still doesn’t work.

Under top menu bar Forms -> Remove State Data.

A spinning beach ball just means that it is taking longer than a preset time.    Wait longer - it might take up to 30 minutes.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
AshGud
Returning Member

Have the exact same issue. Stuck on this.

LalaC
Returning Member

I have the same issue.  I have tried deleting the state in both the Forms and the Details mode.  Very frustrating.

I'm having the exact same issue (also with DC, in case that makes a difference).  The frustrating thing is that I just need to change some incorrect data I'd entered, but there appears to be no way to do that (at least without mucking about in the forms directly).  For federal taxes TurboTax allows you to go back and change anything you've entered, but for state taxes (at least for DC), once you've entered something, you're stuck with it.  So my workaround was going to be to just delete the state data and start again.  But that has me stuck on a spinning beachball.  I really have no desire to start everything again from the beginning.

I waited over an hour for TurboTax to get over its hang, but nothing happened (not surprisingly, since Activity Monitor showed no CPU activity).  So I went ahead and mucked about with the forms, and then went back to EasyStep mode.  That put me back on the step where it had asked me whether I'd like to file an extension.  After clicking through several screens, I ended up back with the original questions (the ones whose answers I'd edited manually on the form).

So, the upshot is:  Removing state form data appears to be impossible (at least for DC) on the Mac version of TurboTax Premier.  And (for DC, at least) you can't edit any previously-entered data until you completely go through all of the questions about filing an extension.  You can't step backwards out of it, and you get stuck back in the same place if you restart TurboTax.  In fact, for all I know, the issue with removing state form data only happens if you're stuck in that sequence of questions about extensions (I could go and do some experimentation to figure out whether that's true, but I don't feel like doing Intuit's QA work for them).

Intuit definitely needs to do better QA on their State products.  I've had no problems with my federal taxes, but the state product seems to be very hastily thrown together.