sussiv

I stopped working as an independent contractor in 2020 but received a paycheck in Jan for Dec. It says my income needs review but I'm done, I think b/c of income diff.

I have a w-2 job and added income from that but it's not liking what I entered for self-employment. I can't figure out what else it wants.
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

What do you mean by "received a paycheck in Jan for Dec"?

Only employees receive paychecks. 

Did you receive Self-Employment income in January?   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sussiv

I worked through the end of Dec and was paid for that work in January, thus having to claim that income for 2020. That is my self-employment income for Jan. I became a w-2 employee in 2020 and so don't have other self employed income to report. But it keeps cueing me to report more.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Is this the final year you have that self-employment income?  If so, be sure to select that you ended the business in 2020 as this may help.

You can review your input in the federal interview section of the program as follows:

1. Select Income & Expenses 
  2. Select Self-employment income and expenses 
  3. Select Edit on the next screen
  4. Under the screen titled Here's your business info, select Edit to the right of General info
  5. Select Edit under Stopped work in 2020 and change your answer to yes if it isn't already.
  6. Proceed through the screens to enter your information regarding your business. If you do not have any additional income or expenses to report, you do not need to enter anything else.

Edit Self-employment activity

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"