Aa220Pilot
Returning Member

Tax Fraud question

Late last year our credit monitoring agency reported that my wife filed for unemployment benefits in TN where we do not live. Needless to say we posted a fraud alert on her credit. We never got a 1099-G or any records saying that benefits were paid out. I have not been able to get TN's unemployment office to return calls to see if they rejected the claim, so my question is:

Given the above scenario, should we click "yes" when TurboTax asks us if we have been a victim of fraud? We see no activity on her credit, no new accounts or lines of credit open, only this one alert for COVID unemployment benefits in Tennessee where we do not live. 

Thank you for your input. 

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I vote no.

Aa220Pilot
Returning Member

Thank you. I called TT and asked them the question too. Their response was to select, "yes" because if there were any benefits paid and not reported they would come back to us asking why we had not reported it and we would be in a tighter spot because of knowing about the fraud, having a fraud alert on her credit and not reporting it. 

Anonymous11357
Returning Member

I would have said yes.

Anonymous11357
Returning Member

Turbo tax asked me to upgrade through Credit Karma to do my State taxes. I paid for it. Then I didn't receive any tax money. Federal or State. I think they are literally stealing our money. I want a refund from Credit Karma because I am retired, need every dollar and I feel taken advantage of by Credit Karma and Turbo. The IRS is keeping alot of Americans money. Release our money.

Fulloquestions
Returning Member

I had this happen to my wife in Michigan.  We filed letters with Michigan at the fraud address they gave, and as you experienced, no replies or even acknowledgement that they received it at first.  Called and refiled and got simple acknowledgement that they had received my notice.  I think they are overwhelmed.  I replied NO to the question in the program, as we never received any further correspondence and in fact got several notices of declination of benefits.