Returning Member

RSU Tax Withheld by Broker

My wife had RSUs vest and the  broker withheld shares to cover the tax on the gain and paid federal, state, social security and medicare tax.  The income from the gain is on her W2 but not the taxes paid by the broker.  She did not receive a 1099 from Broker.  Where do we report the taxes withheld by the broker?

Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

When the RSUs vested, their value is considered earned income which should be included in boxes 1, 3, & 5 of the W-2.  The related payroll taxes should also have been reported on the W-2.  The amounts would not have been reported separately, they would have been included in boxes 2, 4, & 6.   If they were not, she needs to contact her employer.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post