Jury Duty

I received a 1099 MISC form for jury duty and have entered the information there instead of under "Less Common Income- Jury Duty". When I enter the info for 1099 MISC, I am told I have errors and am prompted to fill out a Schedule C. I am also told I will receive credits based on my "self-imployment". As I get to my state taxes, it shows jury duty as my "Principal Business". Is this right?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No. Delete the Schedule C.

The easiest way to get to the jury duty screen is by searching for jury duty pay (use this exact phrase) in your TurboTax program, and then clicking the Jump to link in the search results.

Follow the simple instructions on the Jury Duty Pay screen.

What about mileage pay?

Don't enter your mileage reimbursement if you received it separately from your jury duty service payment.

If mileage is included in your pay (in other words, you received a single payment for jury duty and mileage), enter your total on the Jury Duty Pay screen.

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Thank you, @ColeenD3. I was able to delete the Scedule C, but it shows my 1099-MISC form is not done. Am I able to delete the 1099-MISC form also since the earnings are now being reported under "Jury Duty Pay"?  

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

No.  Since you received a 1099-Misc the IRS will be looking to reconcile that form with your return. 

Normally jury duty pay is low enough not to warrant a 1099-Misc being issued.  In those cases you would enter the Jury Duty pay in the "Less common income" topic. 

However, since you received a 1099-misc you must enter it. 

1. Delete the jury duty entry in "Less common income."  
  2. Revisit the 1099-misc topic.
  3. "Edit" the 1099-Misc 
  4. Verify the form information
  5. Enter "jury duty" as the description. 
  6. Select "none of these apply"
  7. "It didn't involve work like my main job"
  8. "I got it in 2020"
  9. "It didn't involve an attempt to earn money"
  10. Y or N if you have another 1099-misc
  11. Done

This will not generate a schedule C.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post