dragono2

My husband and I will be getting a divorce soon. I file under his name, but our TurboTax account is linked to my email. Will we both need to create new accounts?

dragono2

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I found the answer. He can take the joint account and update the email, but it would be better if we each created a new account. I really wish there was a way to split an account so that information could be imported from the joint account.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Unfortunately, there is no way to "import" tax data from one TurboTax online account into a newly created  TurboTax online account. There are, however, a couple of ways to avoid re-entering your personal tax information.

You can transfer your existing TurboTax online tax file to a desktop version of TurboTax - this will allow you edit the tax file to remove your ex-husband's information and proceed with only your information.

See How do I switch from TurboTax Online to the TurboTax software?

You can reverse the process if you do not want to use a desktop version of the program. You would have to download the 2019 tax file - the process will not work with the current year return.

See How do I switch from TurboTax CD/Download to TurboTax Online?