How to handle split Schedule K-1 for final partnership disposition in TurboTax?

For the past 3 years, as suggested by TurboTax, I've split my K-1 forms into two parts and entered them separately. One K-1 for business activity (Box 1) and one for rental activity (Box 2).

Per the software:

"Since your K-1 reports amounts in more than one of boxes 1, 2, or 3, the partnership/LLC is involved in more than one type of activity. You should treat each activity separately in TurboTax."

This year the partnership has been disposed and I have received a "merger/redemption" distribution and my final K-1.

How do I properly record the disposition in TurboTax with a split K-1, with regards to the sale price, partnership basis, etc.?

Certainly I don't want to enter the disposition figures twice (once on each half of the split K-1), right?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

It depends. it is perfectly acceptable to split the disposition figures in half to report on each K-1 in regards to the sale price, partnership basis etc. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Thank you for the insight.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how to characterize the disposition.

I redeemed 100% of my interest in the partnership paid to me via a distribution and received a final K-1, but the partnership didn't actually sell the underlying assets. I assume it just affected the remaining partners share percentage.

The choices in TT are

• No entry
  • Complete disposition
  • Disposition was not via a sale
  • Sold and am receiving payments.

I tried "Disposition was not via a sale", but then TT doesn't ask for my basis and doesn't check the boxes on Schedule E (Part II)(28)(e) for basis computation even though the instruction on the form state "Note: If you report a loss, receive a distribution, dispose of stock, or receive a loan repayment from an S corporation, you must check the box in column (e) on line 28 and attach the required basis computation.".

The distribution amount I received is on the final K-1 in box 19 with code A and I recorded that in TurboTax.