How can I override a check this entry if I am right and Turbo Tax is wrong?

I was military stationed in Europe.  The state for my mailing address is AE and that is what is printed on my 1099-INT but Turbo Tax will not accept it.
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The 1099-INT interview does not require an address.

You can enter your APO Mailing Address in the "Mailing Address" interview of Personal Info. See the attached screenshot for aid in navigating to this interview.

Thank you for your response but this is not in regards to my current mailing address.  I have a 1099-INT worksheet for interest earned.  My address at the time the document was created was overseas, hence the address on the form lists AE in box 15.  Turbotax is telling me that it is not a valid state ID for the corporation and yet that is what is printed on the 1099-INT I was provided.  It will also not allow me to leave it blank.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps:

1. Delete the 1099-INT entry that you have.
  2. Exit the program.
  3. Log back in.
  4. When you go through the program to re-enter the form, it will ask about the interest. Go through step by step, there is no place to enter the state that way.

The program knows AE is not a state and does not like it. The state section is informational between the company and governments. There is no AE state so they are not looking for your income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Thank you @AmyC, this helped my situation as well!