mazupon

What do I do if my Box 11 - Bond Premium is greater than Box 1 - Interest Income on my 1099-INT?

I imported my 1099-INT from my bank and after finishing the review, TurboTax is asking me to review the 1099-INT for accuracy because Box 11 - Bond Premium is greater than Box 1 - Interest Income.  It won't let me proceed, but the numbers are exactly what was reported in the 1099-INT.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If the amount of your bond premium amortization for an accrual period is more than the qualified stated interest for the period, you can deduct the difference as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040), line 16. A manual adjustment is required. (this will not benefit you unless you can itemize)

But your deduction is limited to the amount by which your total interest inclusions on the bond in prior accrual periods is more than your total bond premium deductions on the bond in prior periods. Any amount you cannot deduct because of this limit can be carried forward to the next accrual period.

IRC SEC 171 and reg 1,171-2

example year 1 interest received $500, ABP $700. on schedule B the $500 interest gets reported along with $500 of ABP. $200 of ABP gets carried forward. to offset 2021 interest   

View solution in original post

Q_NX
Level 1

I also have the same issue with my 1099-INT where my bond premium (box 11) is greater than interest income (box 1). I can't do a manual adjustment as I'm doing a standard deduction, not itemized deduction. My interest income is $0.06 and bond premium is $1.67. What should I do with this?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Change your interest income to 1.67.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"