Tax Return Rejected - Code IND-031-04

We filed MFJ return in 2019.  My husband (the primary taxpayer on the 2019 return) passed away in 2020.  I've completed my 2020 return with MFJ status.

The return was rejected by the IRS because the primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from 2019 does not match IRS records.  The TurboTax fix says to enter the AGI from 2019, which I've now done twice and resubmitted the return, but  it was rejected again - both times.

TurboTax prompted me to enter my information (AGI and PIN) on the 2020 return, not my deceased husband's information.  Our 2019 AGI is the same, but we have had different PINs.  

Can you assist?  Should I just enter my deceased husband's PIN since he was the primary taxpayer on the 2019 return?  The AGI method doesn't seem to work, even though our AGI was the same.  

Very frustrating.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

First, please accept my condolences for your loss.  

Concerning your filing:  Have you tried using 0 for the AGI?  Also, please see the Help Article here for further assistance with this rejection code.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Heather,

Yes, I tried entering 0 for our 2019 AGI.  That didn't work either, and the return was rejected again.

Also reviewed the instructions you attached to your reply.  I had seen them before and, after having the return rejected 5 times, I just mailed it to the IRS, which was one of the solutions cited in the instructions.  

Seems like a lot of people with similar circumstances encountered the same rejection issue, as there were many posts on the internet.  Most used the same paper filing solution.

WAD1051
Returning Member

I have had exactly the same problem. Tried all the recommended solutions and attempted to efile six times. I think the problem is because my husband passed. I'm just going to mail both federal and state returns in as there seems to be no other solution.

Same exact issue. They need to come up with a solution for this as it seems to be a common issue.

WAD1051
Returning Member

Yes indeed. After six electronic filing rejections, I printed the federal and state returns and mailed them. I had even checked with Turbotax prior to starting the filing process to ensure I could still file electronically. Ended up paying for something I could not use - state filing charge. Not happy!! Now I have to wait approximately six weeks for my return to be processed.

As a side note, I tried ALL the suggestions by Turbotax with no success. Also, the Turbotax program generated the second Stimulus Payment erroneously - was not eligible for the additional $600 that it said I was - and could not override it. I believe this as well as my husband's death triggered the electronic filing rejections.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you need assistance with your payment, or a refund, please contact customer support by clicking here @WAD1051.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"