Florida Federal Withholding Tax

My friend lives in Florida and her company didn't take any of  her federal income withholding tax because she made less than $10,000.00 for the year of 2020.  My question is the paper they give her was from SmartAsset online website. The paper show the household income the location is where she works at and her filing Status which is (Married). How can the state of Florida have different Federal income withholding tax rules or is this a general rule from the IRS for every state? I know that their household income is above $10,000.00. 

I need to get back to her soon before they file their 2020 Income Taxes so they can file correctly.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

There is no personal income tax in Florida and therefore, nothing should be withheld from her wages for state tax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I know there isn't any State income withholding tax. I question was about the Federal withholding tax in Florida if you make under $10,000.00 they don't withhold any Federal withholding tax. I want to find out if this is true.

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

No this is not true.  Federal income tax is withheld based on what a person puts on their W-4.  This document tells the person's employer what to withhold.  

It is true that a single person making less than $10,000 in W-2 earnings will not owe any federal tax because it is less than the standard deduction of $12,400.  

View solution in original post

Alan,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I have another question she is marry and they always filed jointly, Can she file her 2020 taxes married and filing separately or does she have to file jointly? Also she need to tell her employer to start taking Federal Taxes out of her for 2021. I guess she is liable for the taxes not taken out of her bi-week paycheck. Can she hold her company liable for her Federal withholding taxes. 

Just question I have to have answer so I can her and let her know what she needs to tell her employer.

Thank you for your time with this issues. 

Sharee

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. As AlanT222 suggests, she needs to fill out a W4 and submit to her employer to begin to withhold taxes from her paycheck. For your convenience, please download this W4. This form has complete instructions on filling out the form as will as a worksheet to help determine how much tax to withhold. 

She can file jointly or separately. Usually it is more advantageous to file jointly but be applicable in this situation. 

No, she cannot hold her company liable for taxes not being withheld. She just needs to submit the W4 as soon as possible so she won't have a tax burden again next year. Be sure to click on the W4 link I have enclosed above to avoid any unnecessary delays.