maryryang
Returning Member

Married in 2020 filing jointly stimulus

I got married in 2020 and we are filing jointly. Based on 2019 taxes (filed seperately), my significant other qualified for the stimulus and I did not. Now that we are filing jointly for 2020, turbo tax is saying that we are owed my half of the stimulus because we both qualify jointly. Is this right?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Probably. The stimulus payments were advanced payments for 2020. Since the IRS did not have 2020 information when it sent out payments, the Service used 2018 and 2019 tax information with the understanding that any missing payments would be added to your 2020 tax return.

In short, 2020 income is what counts for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. Joint filers will receive the full stimulus if their adjusted gross income is $150,000 or less. Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

Without reviewing your return, I can’t definitely say whether your return is accurate. TurboTax has a 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee. If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post