When two TurboTax filers get married, can their TurboTax accounts be combined or can information from the spouse's account be linked to speed up the filing process?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No.

To begin a new joint return on TurboTax:

You will not be able to merge two previous TT account to start your new joint return.  You can transfer ONE of your 2019 returns into a new return, so choose the most complicated one.  The other spouse’s information needs to be entered manually.

When you enter your own information in My Info, you have to answer the question "Were you married?"  If you click the button for Married, then a drop down will appear that asks, "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?"  Then you choose yes to file a joint return.  You would then enter your spouse's information into My Info.  Whenever you are entering income information there should then be a spot for you and for your spouse's income information.  Income screens will have spots with each spouse’s name—be careful to enter under the correct names.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

Thanks for the info @xmasbaby0 , kind of sucks though! I would have thought TurboTax would have nailed this. Now I'm going back and manually combining numbers from the previous year, and having to remember all the 1099's that need to be entered. They will not get 5 stars from me this tax season.

Thanks again for the quick response!

Happy Returns! 😉

What amounts do you need to combine?  

@VolvoGirl  I had to combine previous years state refund and taxes paid. The big pain is TurboTax can’t pull info from your spouse’s previous year return, so you’re forced to look things up. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@Annark3 Can we help you with something? Your comment has not information in it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

No, TurboTax doesn't have the ability to combine tax information from two separate prior year files. 

You will need to pick one and add the other spouse's information manually. 

Fred693

Thank you for the help. So far I have found that, for us, I needed to pay attention to 2 reporting categories: Carryover Loss and the Penalty Calculation (unfortunately). For these, I needed to change the prior year 2022 amount to the sum of our amounts (even though we were single).

What are other reporting categories  that might need to be changed to the total of both tax payers for the prior year 2022 amounts?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

In addition to the Carryover Losses and Penalty calculations you will need to combine Adjusted Gross Incomes (AGI) found on line 11 of the tax year 2022.  The AGI is used to verify your identity during e-file.  Other categories are income deductions and credits.

If you have set up the Married Filing Joint accurately, TurboTax will walk you through all of the areas but you will need to pay particular attention to those areas that are now for a Joint return and update accordingly.

@Fred693