The California Young Child Tax Credit button doesn't work. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Ca Form 3514, Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC),  is available to those who qualify A refundable YCTC up to $1,000 is available to taxpayers who also qualify for the California EIC with at least one qualifying child younger than age six as of the last day of the tax year. The YCTC amount phases out as earned income exceeds the threshold amount of $25,000. For every $100 over $25,000, the YCTC is reduced by $20, and completely phases out at $30,000. The YCTC is computed in Part VII, Form 3514.

The program should be calculating this for you. See How do I preview my TurboTax Online return before filing? and take a look at your CA return. Form 540, line 76, would show your credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand the basis of the Credit; but that wasn't what I'm saying/asking. When I click to start that portion, it takes me to the California Earned Income Tax Credit (the button above the California Young Child Tax Credit). Is anyone else experiencing this? All TurboTax Live Help chat tells me is, they'll get it working...

jeriwebb

I am having the same or similar problem. Form 3514 shows that there is a $1,000 young child tax credit but form 540 does not.

I thought the same thing, but after reading further, I see that you have to qualify for the EIC to be eligible for the Young Child credit, but it should tell you that when you click the button for the young child tax credit. The way it is, it looks like it doesn't work!

chelecruz

I am also having the same problem where my return does not pull the CA young child tax credit for the $1,000

• I have a qualifying child
  • I do have an Earned Income Credit
  • And I have not reached out the Phase Out limit since my earned income is below $25,000
  • I have gotten out of the TurboTax Easy Guide and onto the Actual Form, and the form itself does not let me change any of the information for what should actually be accurate.

There is definitely something wrong with the way the software is working OR I am not interpreting the tax law right, which does not seem to be the case.

I would appreciate feedback from Turbotax

Thanks,

Dennis 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. When you prepare your Ca State reburn in Turbo Tax, you need to complete a section that addresses California Earned income Credit and the Young Child Credit. 

As you navigate in your California return, there is a page entitled Take a Look at Your California Credit and Taxes.  Once there, scroll the section Personal, Home, and Family Credits>California Earned income Credit>California Young Child Credit. Here is snapshot on what the screen looks like.

jackath

I was getting upset that button didn't work for me either and I could find no explanation in help.  Assuming that we don't qualify because income is over limit.   Turbo Tax should have shown that we didn't qualify instead of shutting down button without explanation.

samahio

I am currently doing my 2021 tax return and it is still doing this. When you lick on "Young Child Tax Credit" it immediately goes to a page that says "You do not qualify for the Earned Income Credit.", when after clicking the button you would expect the program to respond about Young Child Tax Credit. It seems like a glitch.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

In order to take the young child tax credit you must first qualify for the earned income credit.  If you don't qualify for the one there isn't much point in asking you about the other.