I need to start my 2020 return over i was just working on. It wont let me start all over from the start

need to start my 2020 return over i was just working on. It wont let me start all over from the start
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You can use the Clear and Start Over Feature to erase and start your return over as long as you have not submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
litterbug123
Returning Member

I submitted payment already but need to start over

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Sounds like the return was transmitted to the IRS if it won't allow you to make changes.  However, if it was submitted already you can prepare an amended return to make changes to the original return.  So if you have transmitted the return already, here is how to amend that return.

First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2020 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

When you're ready to amend, find your situation below and follow the instructions.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is not giving me the option for tools or and option to clean and start over.  I filed an extension.  Please can someone help me.  I am so frustrated with turbo tax rn.  

You must log into the same account and start the return to open the program ... then you will see the tools options.    OR you can start a new return in a new account but you will lose the prior year history if you have any.

You have to sign onto the same online account using the exact same user ID you used to create the  online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your  account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"