danielismyson
Returning Member

Making changes to my Maine State return in TurboTax

Why won't TurboTax let me make corrections to my State return? It is NOT showing that my spouse and I have two totally different addresses and I need it to so they will change my filing status to Single.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Have you submitted your return? If so you cannot make any changes to your return. 

If you have not submitted your return, you can try the work around of adding an additional state, do not worry as you will not be actually adding another state. It will just allow you to get back into the return. 

If you need additional assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
danielismyson
Returning Member

I am not going to pay for another state tax return to get my marital status changed on my State Return. There has GOT to be another way to do this.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The steps to file as single on Maine are listed below.

First, you must be filing MFJ on the federal return and want to file single on the ME return. Maine generally requires the same filing status used on the federal return. Exceptions are:

Married taxpayers filing a joint federal return may elect to file as Single on the Maine return using Schedule NRH if either of the following apply.

• The residency status of the spouses are not the same, or

• Both spouses are nonresidents or “Safe Harbor” residents, but only one spouse has Maine-source income. The nonresident or “Safe Harbor” resident spouse with no Maine-source income does not have to file a Maine return.

How to file single on ME return: 

1. In the personal information section of TurboTax where you first begin your return, you have your names, social, birthday, state of residency. At least one of you must not be a ME resident.
  2. Then go to the state section, when it asks about residency, select safe harbor.
    1. Then the program will ask about you and your wife and residency.
    2. It may be several screens marking the correct state, days present, etc based on your situation.
    3. Go through the entire ME return.
  3. Get to You've Finished Your Maine Return.
    1. Select General Info Edit/Update Did you file last year? yes/no
    2. We've recommended a Maine Filing Status
    3. Select Change Filing Status
    4. Do you want to select Maine filing status of single?
    5. Select yes
    6. Which of you is filing? Select you 
    7. Are you sure? Select yes
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"