I am a student though I work part time to do DoorDash. I intend to take advantage of your $0 basic filing Promo which ends 2/15/2021. How do I do this? Thanks

Please explain how to do your $0 promo for basic filing?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Someone else may chime in here and correct me if I am wrong, but if you need extra forms due to being a student and self employed, using that route may not be free.

I am self employed, not a student, had IRA's, investments, and business expenses, and I went to the IRS page to the free file and chose Turbo Tax, where if you have limited income and was free to me.  It redirected me back to Turbo Tax and prompted me if I wanted to continue with the free version. All of my data already in the filing was transferred and I did not have to enter anything again. I just don't know for certain it includes any "student" forms for free. My state filing was also free.

It's maybe worth a shot to check it out, it saved me $110.00 and e file went right through.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You will simply start here for free with TurboTax.  Follow the on screen prompts to answer questions and enter requested data. TurboTax will make all the calculations for you.

If you cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2020 tax return you also be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your return to get any stimulus payments that you have not received yet.

Here is a link with more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit.

[edited 2/8/2021 11:46am]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, the TurboTax Free edition only supports simple forms however the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax is geared towards lower-income filers, regardless of tax return complexity, and is only offered through the IRS Free File Alliance (FFA) program. No upgrades are available.

Simple tax situations covered in TurboTax Free Edition:

• W-2 income,
  • Unemployment incomeIf your taxable income (including your unemployment income plus any other sources of income) exceeds the filing thresholds for federal (and most states') returns, at least some of your unemployment income can be taxed. 
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claiming the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits. To qualify for the Child Tax Credit, your child must fit all of the requirements. Click here for the requirements. 

Situations not covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• Itemized deductions
  • Business or 1099-MISC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions, and income reported on schedules 1–3, such as the Student Loan Interest Deduction
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"