I'm a volunteer driver and received a 1099-NEC

I've been a volunteer medical driver since 2017. I get reimbursed for mileage (IRS rate) + meals + hotels + tolls.

This year, unlike all years prior, I received a 1099-NEC.

It seems wrong to receive it because

1) they didn't send it years past,

2) other organizations I voluntarily drive for do not send any tax forms.

When I entered the 1099-NEC, my federal refund dropped from $166 to just $5.

My understanding is that I have to say I am self-employed and that I can only get my federal refund back up by entering expenses (vehicle/mileage/assets purchased/office supplies/etc.)

Problem is that I didn't know I needed to keep track of this info so I have very few records. 

Perhaps I should just guess on my expenses? I don't think the IRS is going to audit me as I am very low income.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Your employer opted for the new expense category deduction for you. And, no, you were not informed in nearly enough time. However, there is a light at the end of this tunnel for you! If you put together a list of legitimate expenses, itemize by month, and label it as such, this will more than suffice as long as you are within a certain window of expectation of what you are reporting. I have some really great checklists on my personal laptop as many of my clients are firefighters and EMT workers. However, I am sure I can find something real quick for you....

Please note, that since they gave you a 1099-NEC, you now have a Schedule C to fill out. This benefits you as given that what I know you get paid for this definitely is less than what all you spend on boots, clothing, hair cuts, etc. Again, be reasonable and that more than suffices!

Here's one I just found that is a good checklist:

Tax Deductions for Paramedics/EMTs

View solution in original post