An upgrade screen appears and when I click "Continue in TurboTax Deluxe" the program stops responding

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You may need to clear your browser's cache and delete the cookies stored on your computer. A full or corrupted cache can keep TurboTax from functioning properly.

Please see the below FAQ for instructions on how to clear the cache and delete cookies.  

Clear Cache:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-to-clear-your-cache/00/26135  

Delete cookies: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-do-i-delete-cookies/00/25978

Also, try refreshing your browser and even try using a different browser if the issue persists. If none of these resolve the issue, please contact Customer Support for further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think your reply was geared to some sort of online program. I'm using the downloaded desktop version.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are you needing to upgrade to a higher version of the CD/Download? 

It showed under the version Turbo Tax Online, which is why the response was geared towards the online version. 

Sorry, that was my fault. Yes, I'm getting the error on the Windows desktop version. TurboTax Deluxe 2020

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@rmbatp Please try to manually update your software instead. Refer to the following Help Article for instructions: Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

I downloaded the patch, ran it, and received the following message: "TurboTax 2020 is not installed. Please install TurboTax 2020 first and then re-run this update"

The trouble is, the program IS installed. I still have the problem of TurboTax Deluxe (desktop Windows version) locking up anytime an upgrade screen appears.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@rmbatp Please contact customer support here for further assistance so that we can take a look at what is going on to better assist you.

cbari

What was the solution to this problem (if I may ask)? I am running into the same issue with the 2020 TurboTax Deluxe CD/download version.

For me the solution was to wait. I just let it 'churn' for 20 minutes or so and all was well again. If I hadn't gotten a phone call while I was doing my taxes I'd never have reached that conclusion. After I got off the phone the program worked as it should.

I too am facing the same situation with my desktop version. There does seem to be a bug that needs to be addressed ASAP. I am requesting Intuit to provide better guidance.

For anyone using the Desktop CD/Download program,  you really don't need to upgrade to a higher version.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions. 

We can help you enter something in a lower version.

I got a phone call during after TurboTax seemed to lock up. It took about 20 minutes or maybe a little longer before I got off the phone. By that time TurboTax was working properly. I'd suggest you just attend to another matter and come back in a little while to see if it's responding again. Good luck.

This solution worked! Hang tight for about 10 minutes or more and the program will respond. Future responses won't have a delay.

rogeralanyoung
Returning Member

The "wait" doesn't work for me. It has been in the "not responding" now for over 1 hour. What now???