Thebee97
Returning Member

1098-T

It looks like my 1098-T was entered twice when I filed my tax return for the exact same university I attended last year.

When I checked my tax return pdf it has my university twice on there. Will this impact my tax return? Will IRS see and correct this? 

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No, the IRS will not make a correction on your return, however if there was a duplicate you may receive a tax notice from the IRS, which can impact the results of your tax return. Keep in mind I am unable to see your return and I am unsure if any credits were duplicated or overstated.

You can prepare an amended tax return to correct the error.

Since you have already submitted your 2020 tax return electronically, you will have to wait until your tax return was either accepted or rejected.

• If your e-filed return is still pending. Wait until the return is accepted before amending
  • If your return has already been accepted. You will need to amend your tax return.
  • If rejected, just make your changes and then resubmit or mail your return.
  •  

Please refer to: TurboTax: Do I Need to Amend

If you determine that you need to amend your tax return: TurboTax: How do I amend my tax return

Thebee97
Returning Member

Thank you for you response, I appreciate it. In the event I need to amend my tax returns, can I do it via Turbo Tax or I have to file it the old fashion paper way like before.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You can use TurboTax to amend:

You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return.

Please click here for how to amend a return you already filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"