Kfly
Level 1

Tricky question concerning dependent

My ex was granted permission to claim my middle child until the age of 18-This is when he stopped paying support. The support stopped June 1. He has lived with me full time for the last 4 years. The question is: 6 months I received child support for my son: Six months I did not. Who is entitled to claim?

Kfly
Level 1

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

To clarify:

After 18 I am able to claim him as there is no support from the father. For the 2020 tax year child support was only paid until June 1

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

The details are that you have to satisfy more requirements to claim an 18 year old child as a dependent than just if the father stopped paying child support.

Generally, yes, if you provided more than 50% of her support, i.e., rent/mortgage, utilities, food, clothing, etc. See the screenshot below.

For tax purposes, you can claim your child as a dependent if they meet the following requirements:

Additional information available at the following link:

Can I claim 18 year old child as dependent

can I claim my 18 year old child as dependent

[Edited 02-08-21|9:02 PST]

• The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
  • The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled. 
  • The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Note: Absences while away at school do not count as 'not living with you'. 
  • The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year. 
  • The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that return is filed only to get a refund of income tax withheld or estimated tax paid). 

View solution in original post

Kfly
Level 1

Thank you very much for taking the time! 🙂