Vazquezme

J-1 and j-2 filling taxes (W-7 and resident/non-resident status)

Hello,

my name is Emmanuel, here my background and questions:

I come to the US as a research scholar (J-1 visa 2-year rule) from Dec 2015 to Dec 2016, I worked at the university as a Research technician to complement my budget (starting at Jan 2016 to Nov 2016), I filled my tax return for 2016 on a 1040 NR.

Later, I completed my Ph.D. back in my country (Mexico) and come again to the US as a postdoctoral Researcher (J-1 no 2-year rule) in March 2019, I got married in July 2019 in Mexico and my wife joined me in Sept 2019 with aJ-2 Visa here at the US. 

I have my SSN since 2016, my wife don't have either SSN or ITIN
so here are my questions:
can I fill 2020 tax as a resident or as a non-resident alien?
If I can file my tax as a resident alien,

can I Fille married filling jointly and request the ITIN for my wife on 2020 tax return?

I have read a lot of tax law and seems really confusing, also, TAC office n my city is closed so I'm unable to check that with IRS directly.

Thanks in advance, 

Emmanuel

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You are required to file Form 1040-NR as J1 Visa holder. Your wife is also required to file Form 1040-NR as a J2 Visa holder.  She can apply for her ITIN with a Form W7 attached to her 2020 Form 1040-NR.  You can get further information and assistance from Sprintax who specializes in nonresident tax support.

Vazquezme

Hello,
Thank You for your quick answer,

I just opened the account on spring tax and entered the information that I described here (my in-out of US on J-1 visa status as a research scholar) and got this from the system:

Step 1 - Residency

Based on the information you provided, you are deemed a US resident for tax purposes, which means Sprintax software isn’t suitable for you. Sprintax facilitates non-resident tax return preparation only.

Any Idea on what I need to do?

Best,

Emmanuel

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You will be considered as US resident in 2020 for tax purposes.  You will use the Look-Back rule for J-visa holder.  Since you were a nonresident ( exempt ) for more than two years out of the past six years ( 2014-2019), you are a resident in 2020.  

Since you are a resident, you can file jointly return with your nonresident wife.  You can also file an ITIN for your wife. This also explains why Sprintax advised you to file as a resident.  

To see a similar discussion of  look back rule, click here: Look back rule

To prepare your tax return in the program, here are the steps: 

• In the program, as you enter the information, leave the SSN space blank
  • After entering all your information, print out returns and required forms ( write APPLIED in the spouse's space) 
  • As TurboTax does not support the Form W-7, fill out the forms by following
  •  https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information and attach to other required  documentation
  • Submit both the Form W-7 and your tax forms to IRS Austin location in Texas.  ( see Form W-7 instructions)

@Vazquezme

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"