Can I still claim my college age daughter on my tax return? She is still showing up as valid dependent on my 2020 tax return. She turned 25 on 25 May 2020.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Did your daughter earn less than $4300 in 2020?

Your Daughter might qualify as a dependent if she meets all the requirements of a Qualifying Relative.

Rules for Qualifying relative:

• Do they live with you? Your relative must live at your residence all year or be on the list of “relatives who do not live with you” in Publication 501. About 30 types of relatives are on this list.
  • Do they make less than $4,300 in 2020? Your relative cannot have a gross income of more than $4,300 in 2020 and be claimed by you as a dependent.
  • Do you financially support them? You must provide more than half of your relative’s total support each year.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This means you can’t claim the same person twice, once as a qualifying relative and again as a qualifying child. It also means you can’t claim a relative—say a cousin—if someone else, such as his parents, also claim him.

Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return

[Edited(02/03/202, 01:08pm PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No she didn't earn more than $4300 and all the other rules apply.  I was looking at it wrong....I should have been looking for qualified relative not qualified dependent.  Thanks for your help!