Short Term Disability Tax Question

I received std for a few months in 2020. Under section 12 J on my W2 it has some income listed. Should I expect to receive a different W2 from an third party std insurer? When it asks if I received Paid Family Leave benefits do I need to say yes or can I disregard this if I already entered my W2 with section 12J filled in? Thanks for your assistance.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Does the amount reported in Box 12 (Code J) appear to be what you received as short-term disability benefits? 

If so, then you should not expect to receive a separate W-2 from a third-party payer - your employer already reported your non-taxable sick pay (Box 12, Code J) on your regular W-2,

Short-term disability (STD) payments are not considered Paid Family Leave; answer "No" if asked whether you received PFL.

Thank you for responding @ToddL99 . I was thinking the same thing before I posted this question, but then I saw this response from a different question posted on Turbotax and it made me question whether STD is the same as PFL, resulting in me asking my question. Is this answer incorrect: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/disability/help/is-medical-leave-or-short-term-long-term-disabilit...

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes. Pay from your employer, a third-party insurer, or the government while you're unable to work due to a serious illness or injury is considered paid family leave (PFL) income.

Example: You're getting regular paychecks while you're home recovering from major surgery, serious injury, chemotherapy, or pregnancy complications. You're receiving PFL pay.

Typically, companies that offer paid medical leave or disability do so through a third-party insurer. You may receive a separate W-2 from that insurer to report the PFL income or you may see the PFL reported as third-party sick pay on your regular, company-issued W-2.

However, the previous response is accurate, in that if it is included on the W-2 in Box 12 and therefore you will not receive a W-2 from a Third Party.  Already accounted for in the W-2 from the employer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"