rschu2020

I am single and a dependent and have only made 8k from my work and unemployment. Do I need to file taxes? Does receiving unemployment make it a requirement to file?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If your income from a job and unemployment is $8k, you are not required to file a tax return. Receiving unemployment does not automatically require you to file a tax return.

However, if you had taxes withheld, you can file a tax return to claim a refund.

If you file a tax return, you have to indicate in TurboTax that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tim79

I may be reading this wrong, but wouldn't it depend on how much the income is divided between his job and his unemployment benefits?

If unemployment benefits are greater than $1,100.00, he would need to file a tax return, reference this support article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

Hope it helps,
-Tim

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you are required to file.  You do not include a breakdown of earned income and unearned income, but it sounds like your gross income exceeds the larger of $1,100 or your earned income plus $350.

A dependent of another taxpayer is required to file his or her own tax return if: 

• Your earned income (money you made by working) exceeds $12,400,
  • Your unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.) exceeds $1,100,
  • Your business or self-employment net income (gross minus expenses) is at least $400,
  • Your gross income (earned plus unearned) exceeds the larger of $1,100 or your earned income (up to $12,050) plus $350.

But even if your income falls below these filing requirements, you will want to file your own tax return to get a refund of any federal or state taxes withheld from your paychecks.

The IRS defines earned income as: 

• Taxable income you earned as an employee, such as wages, salaries, commissions, and tips,
  • Profits from operating your business or farm,
  • Long-term disability pay if received before the minimum retirement age,
  • Union strike benefits.

The IRS defines unearned income as: 

• Interest, dividend, or investment income,
  • Retirement or Social Security income,
  • Alimony or child support,
  • Unemployment or worker's compensation,
  • Gifts, prizes, awards, or winnings,
  • Inheritances,
  • Income received while incarcerated, even if it involves active work.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"