My dependent did not earn over $4,000 so does not need to file but has a w2-g form from gambling winnings but when you enter we have on it only asks for me and my spouse?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You do not have to enter the W2-G for your dependent on your tax return.  Because he is under the filing threshold amount, the income will not be included on a tax return.  The filing requirement for a dependent is:

The standard deduction for an individual who can be claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return is generally limited to the greater of:

1. $1,100, or

2. The individual's earned income for the year plus $350 (but not more than the regular standard deduction amount, generally $12,200).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You do NOT enter a depended income on your tax return.   It can only go on the dependents own tax return if the dependent is require to file. 

I do not understand why you think the dependent does not have to file since gambling is unearned income (unless he is a professional gambler) and the filing requirement is over $1,100 of unearned income.

2020 Filing requirements for dependents.

Single dependents— (Not age 65 or older or blind)

You must file a return if any of the following apply.
1. Your unearned income was more than $1,100.
2. Your earned income was more than $12,400.
3. Your gross income was more than the larger of—
a. $1,100, or
b. Your earned income (up to $12,050) plus $350.

Or Dependent had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400. 

However, if any tax was withheld, then Dependent might want to file anyway to get a refund of the tax withheld.

Also, a person that CAN be a dependent cannot claim him/her self and must check the box that says that another taxpayer can claim them (whether or not that taxpayer actually claims him/her).

Note: your state filing requirements might be different than the federal.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**