Mmvf1977
Returning Member

Added an aditional w2 i forgot about

How can i add another w2 form i forgot to enter

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you filed, it is like dropping it into the mail - you cannot get it back if accepted by the IRS or state.

The IRS will not open to accept or reject return until Feb 12, so wait.

To amend your 2020 tax return:

-- First, *wait* to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. DO NOT do anything until you receive the accept or reject e-mail.

-- If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return.

-- If accepted you should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it. That is the only proof of mailing that the IRS will accept.

-- Amended returns can be mailed or e-filed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you have already submitted your tax return, you will need to wait until your tax gets accepted or rejected by the IRS.  They will start processing on the Feb 12.   If you have not submitted your return or if it gets rejected later, here is how to add another W-2.  

If you haven't already filed your return:

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Search for W-2 and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. We'll take you to a screen where you can click Add a W-2 for [your name or your spouse's name].
  4. Enter the information from the new W-2 on the following screens.

If you already e-filed, you'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, you can add the W-2 as described above before resubmitting or paper-filing your return.
  • If accepted (or if you already paper-filed), you'll need to amend your return to add another W-2.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mmvf1977
Returning Member

Hello there even if they are pending starus?

Mmvf1977
Returning Member

Or can they be cancel so i dont have to amend them??

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

As @macuser_22 stated above, you cannot "cancel" or ""withdraw" a tax return once you have filed it and the IRS has accepted it. If, however, the IRS rejects it (on or shortly after Feb 12), you will be notified and have the opportunity to make corrections - that is when you can add a missing W-2

As @macuser_22 stated above:

1. If you filed, it is like dropping it into the mail - you cannot get it back if accepted by the IRS or state.
  2. The IRS will not open to accept or reject return until Feb 12, so wait.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return