Can you manually update Recovery Rebate Credit Line 30?

I received stimulus payment for myself but not a dependent I can claim in 2020 due to separated parents agreement.  The questionnaire format isn't catching that.
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, you can manually update this. 

This section is at the beginning of the Federal Review. But, to see it, you need to be at the end of Other Tax Situations, first. To get there in TurboTax, follow these steps:

• In your return, click the Other Tax Situations tab toward the top of the page
  • Scroll down to the end and click Let's keep going
  • At Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue
  • Be sure to report an amount for each of the stimulus payments as received. If the particular payment was not received at all, enter 0 and click Continue

For more information, please refer to: Questions and Answers about the Second Economic Impact Payment which is still getting updates. 

To check your payment status with the IRS, go to: Get My Payment Link

I don't know what you mean by "manually update".

If the child is correctly listed as a dependent, then when you are in the federal review section, you enter the amounts you actually received and the extra will be added to line 30.

If you went to the review section and the program is not adding the extra, then you have entered the dependent incorrectly.  You need to fix the dependent, rather than manually entering the credit.  Making a manual entry requires doing an override in the desktop program (can't be done online) and the override will void the accuracy guarantee.  The IRS will remove it anyway, if your return doesn't show you qualify.  You may have a dependent problem you need to fix instead.

Also note, if you received a payment based on claiming your child "Adam" in 2019, and in 2020 your ex claims Adam and you claim your other child "Betty", you don't get a second payment.  The credit is based on the number of dependents you claimed, not who they are. 

Hi KathrynG3,

Doing my 2020 taxes and I don't have the "Let's keep gong" tab. Nor does the program (Premier) ever ask me if I got the right stimulus amount.  The reason, I believe is, my 2020 income is above the threshold for ANY stimulus payment. The problem is, I didn't receive my FIRST stimulus payment in 2019 because the IRS was still playing with my return. So I need to claim it on my 2020 return. Catch 22.  I tried to override Line 30 on the 1040 and was finally able to by going back to the worksheet. But then Turbo Tax gave me a message NOT to override it because it will mess up the cross checking at the IRS! ARGH!   So now what?  Anybody else have is problem?  Thanks in advance for any help.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

You cannot manually override the amount on Line 30 of your 1040 tax return. 

The Recovery Rebate Credit is calculated based on your 2020 income, whereas the stimulus payments were based your 2019 tax return or last return filed. If a taxpayer did not qualify for the stimulus payments based on the last return filed, then they could recoup the stimulus payment with the Recovery Rebate Credit if they are eligible to do so

Per the IRS, your Recovery Rebate Credit amount will be phased out if your adjusted gross income for 2020 exceeds $150,000 if you are married filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower, $112,500 if you are using the head of household filing status, or $75,000 if you are using any other filing status.

To enter your stimulus payments received, you can follow these steps in TurboTax to enter information for the recovery rebate form:

1. With your return open, search for stimulus with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  2. Select the Jump to Stimulus in the search results to directly go to correct TurboTax page.

@HowdyDoody

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"