Is there a free 1099 form I can fill out for my contractors?

JulieCo

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, this can be done through Quick Employer Forms that is free with either the TurboTax Self-Employed (online) version or the TurboTax Home & Business (CD/Download) version.  1099 MISC forms are also required to be filed with the IRS.  Quick Employer Forms can e-file the forms to the IRS for you.  Note that these forms were due by January 31, 2019.  

See more information below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301452

I'm not sure I trust what TurboTax says about their Quick Employer Forms.  If you enter data, it might disappear instead of being saved (as promised).

On about January 10, 2020, I (eventually) figured out how to enter payee data at the TurboTax web pages for eventual printing and eFiling of IRS Forms 1099-MISC (block 7, NEC Compensation) due tomorrow, January 31, 2020.  [For my 2019 returns, I upgraded to TTax Home & Business -- specifically because I wanted the advertised ability to eFile my 1099-MISC forms and know that my current 2019 data would be saved online for quick & easy transfer to next year.]

(1) It turned into a time-wasting hassle to (eventually) discover that the ability to enter 1099-MISC info via the online web pages could NOT be accessed from my freshly-created and therefore existing 2019 TTax file in my desktop computer. Instead, when first opening TTax I had to click the "Start a new return" button and from there choose to enter 1099-MISC (or W2, etc.) data. That worked and I manually entered data for about 30 payees. I chose not to eFile at that time (TTax FAQs explain that my data would be saved online for later eFiling and for transfer to next year). Instead of immediately eFiling, I opted to wait until the end of January (i.e., today, 01/30/2020) in case errors needed to be corrected before eFiling. [NOTE -- There was NO "sign out" link or button available on any of the screens that appeared for me, so I simply closed the browser window. Chrome browser.]

(2) Today, 01/30/2020, I am trying to get back to my previously-entered 1099-MISC data that is supposed to be stored someplace within my online account at TTax ... ... ... and, after successfully logging in with my username and password, I cannot find any of my previously-entered data. The option to enter brand new data appears, but NO saved data from a couple of weeks ago. AARRGGH! A link to previously-saved data does NOT appear when I use the "Start a new return" button when TTax first loads. I cannot find a link to my already-entered data when I go back into my already-started 2019 tax file that's stored in my desktop computer. AARRGGH!

Now I wonder why I wasted my time and money upgrading my TTax product so that I could (supposedly) enter and eFile 1099-MISC forms via TTax to the IRS.

Easy Way to find QEF -- go to this website: 

• quickemployerforms.intuit.com
  • You will need to sign in (using an existing TTax/Intuit username & password) or create an account.  After you purchase TTax Home & Business (or another acceptable version of TTax), you get "free" eFiling of forms 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, W-2. 
  • When QEF works, it's fine.  My 1099-MISC data from a year ago (Jan 2020) showed up this year (Jan 2021), easily available for issuing forms to "repeat" workers.  One hassle is the INABILITY to SORT the list in QEF by name -- they show up in the order initially entered and that is not helpful when searching a long list for a specific payee, and can be very time-wasting when entering new data for many repeat workers.  (Lots of other/unrelated websites allow sorting by clicking on a column heading.)
  • CAUTION:  If you skip the Easy Way to QEF (shown above) and instead work within TTax by clicking "Choose Desktop" as shown in the following screenshot, you will NOT be able to eFile your carefully-created forms.
  •   TTax_eFile-1099NEC_2021-01-26.jpg 
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, Form 1099-NEC can be filed through TurboTax Self-Employed, Home & Business, or Business versions of the software. The link will take you to the steps needed to fill out the form. Creating 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC and W-2 in TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"