Filing a return for someone who died 3/20 before stimulus payments went out. TT is calculating an $1800 refund for non-receipt of the stimulus. How can I remove this?

I answered "no" to "did you receive a stimulus payment?" but that's because the filer died before any payments were sent, not because he did not receive the payments.
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You want to say yes the filer received the stimulus to which they were entitled. It sounds counterintuitive. The filer was entitled to nothing and that is what they got. So, yes, the filer did receive the stimulus they should have.

I recommend you run through the IRS How Do I File a Deceased Person program. It is specific to your scenario.

I am very sorry for your loss.

More: IRS instructions for filing a return for the deceased. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you enter the Date of Death of decedent?

Although the IRS asked for payments made to deceased spouses to be returned during the Spring and Summer payment cycles, a taxpayer who died during 2020 is entitled to claim the recovery rebate on their 2020 tax return.  See question 2 here.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs#Eligibility

You need to enter the amount you actually received.  This was reported on a notice 1444 signed by the President, which you should have saved.   If you received a payment for your spouse, include that amount.  If you returned your spouse's payment per the IRS instructions at the time, reduce the amount you received by the amount you returned.  You may find in the end that you are receiving the recovery rebate credit for your spouse, if it was not paid previously, this is correct and legal. 

Yes I did enter the Date of Death. It was in March, before any of the stimulus payments went out.

Update: 

Even a person who died in 2020 is eligible for the payment.

See 1040 Instructions.