ShannonB1

What is the minimum income to file taxes?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

In order to e-file--- you have to be able to enter at least $1 of taxable income.

Is your real question---Do I need to file?

Who has to file?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Do-I-Need-to-File-a-Tax-Return%3F

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If you are wanting to file to claim the stimulus money*,  you may file with no income.  As already suggested, you may want to report  $1 of interest income so that you can e-file, instead of having to mail in a paper return.

This situation is so common, this year, that the IRS and TurboTax is working on making e-file available even with no income.  I haven't heard when it will be ready. 

*"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit (line 30 on the 2020 form 1040). The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".  

Under the CARES Act, if you are claimed, or qualify to be claimed, as a dependent on someone else’s return you cannot receive a stimulus check, in 2020.   If you qualified as a dependent for 2019, but will not be for 2020, you will most likely get it in 2021, when you file a 2020 tax return.