My son was in school till August and didnt start work till September and still lives with me and i pay all his bills and living cast so why is it that

Because he made over 4300 dollars in 2020 i cant claim him as a dependent now

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

based on what you provided he would be a qualifying child for 2020 unless he is over 24 at the end of the year. to be a qualifying relative (a dependent)  his gross earnings must be less than $4,300 for 2020.

You should say he was a full time student during the year.  Unless he is over 23 then you can't claim him.  But if he was under 24 on Dec 31 and a full time student for 5 months of the year you can claim him no matter how much he makes.  Go back though My Info and check your answers.

View solution in original post

Thank you yes he was a student for 8 months of the yr i will put him down as a full time student but now i am wondering when he gose to file his taxes cause he did work how will that affect his taxes or will it affect mine  he is only 19 yrs old 

So even if he was a full time student i still cant claim him just cause he made over 4300 and he is only 19yrs old and i pay everything for him 

Be sure he checks the box on his return that says someone else can claim him.  

Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

The Desktop CD/Download program can do unlimited returns.