I am trying to file a tax return for 2019 and I think I'm on the 2020 form. Do I have to start over?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The TurboTax online editions are Only for tax year 2020.

Clear the return and start over.  If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2020 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

To complete and file a 2019 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2019 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2019 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Carl
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The online version of TurboTax is for the "current" tax filing year only - which is 2020 as of this post. If you need to file a prior year tax return, then you must purchase and install the CD version of the program on your computer and use that to file a prior year tax return. You can purchase and download TurboTax 2019 at https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Be aware of the following, and be aware this is the way it works "TODAY". What you'll be able to do tomorrow, is anyone's wild guess.

- A prior year tax return can not be completed with the online version of TurboTax. The online version is for the current tax filing year only. As of this post, the current tax filing year is 2020.

- A prior year tax return can not be e-filed. The IRS says so. You have to print, sign and mail it to the IRS

- When finished, select the "Print and File" option. when printed, an instruction sheet will be printed also that informs you of what documents you including in your mailed return, along with the address to mail it to.

- If you will also be completing a state return, then a physically separate instruction sheet is printed for the state return. The state return is not mailed to the same address as the federal return. So do not put both returns in the same envelope for mailing.