Why won't TurboTax Deluxe 2020 (Windows 10) install? It says Extracting Files then absolutely nothing else happens.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No... Nothings has worked.  And I've tried to start the laptop in every available Mode.  It still says "Extracting Files" and absolutely nothing happens.  I have deleted the download, downloaded it again.  Over and over.  I have turned off my virus and firewall.  I have been using Turbotax since 2016 at least and I always download the file and install without a problem.  

I'm stumped.  I would order a CD, but my laptop doesn't have a CD slot and I don't have an external.

I am able to find a folder and this is what is in it...

File name is:  20201228_TTINSTALLER

17:15:29:836 No other instance; Locking now.
17:15:30:096 Path: C:\ProgramData

17:15:30:096 pgmDataLogsDir: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\MSI\TY20\Logs\

17:15:30:096 isDebugLog: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\MSI\TY20\Logs\ISDebugLog.log

17:15:30:096 msiDebugLog: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\MSI\TY20\Logs\TTDErrorLog.log

17:15:30:096 pgmDataLogs: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\MSI\TY20

So... what is going on?

Jolly2001

I've been on the phone with intuit and they couldn't help. I downloaded from Amazon. I've installed this for year without issue and I work in IT. Mine gets to 3% each time and bombs with suggestions that don't do anything. Still working on it. Amazon won't give me a refund for downloaded software.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the steps in the FAQ Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows to see if this resolves your install issue.

@Jolly2001

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jolly2001

My issue was turboTax wouldn't even install. Got to 3% and came up with options to try, which none worked. Called TurboTax, no help. Amazon, no help. It's the 2020 download. Here are steps I took to get it installed. My Laptop happens to also be my work laptop so I do have security software etc. installed.

windows 10 - Error during install, only gets to a few percent and stops with errors.

type "msconfig" in the search bar
In the System Configuration window
Select Boot
- Safe Boot and check Network
restart computer

At this point you can't install because the windows installer doesn't normally run in Safe mode

search "cmd" and right click on command prompt and (run as administrator)

copy and paste these following commands in the command prompt. Press Enter after typing each command line.

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
net start msiserver

Go back to where your Downloaded TurboTax file is.
Right click on the file and Run as Administrator
**IF the install is successful at this point you can change back to Regular boot**

go back now and type "msconfig" in the search bar
Select Boot and uncheck "Safe boot"
Restart computer

good luck..

Jolly2001

IF still not working , this worked for me. I had to put together a few steps.

windows 10 - Error during install, only gets to a few percent and stops with errors.

type "msconfig" in the search bar
Select Boot
- Safe Boot and check Network
restart computer

At this point you can't install because the windows installer doesn't normally run in Safe mode

search "cmd" and right click on command prompt and (run as administrator)

copy and paste these following commands in the command prompt. Press Enter after typing each command line.

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
net start msiserver

Go back to where your Downloaded TurboTax file is.
Right click on the file and Run as Administrator
**IF the install is successful at this point you can change back to Regular boot**

go back now and type "msconfig" in the search bar
Select Boot and uncheck "Safe boot"
Restart computer

good luck..