AndyC132

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Thank you for your response.  I understand that is the advice the IRS provides on this matter and it is why I have waited over six months to pursue this.  

When I mailed my return we had both a functioning Postal Service and a functioning Internal Revenue Service in this country.  We have neither of those things now and I can't foresee when we will again.  

Between my refund and stimulus payments this is a five-figure amount that isn't inconsequential to our current financial situation.  I'm at a point where if/when an IRS agent finally opens my paper return and checks their computer to see that I've already e-filed in the meantime and has to take the 45 seconds it will take to shred my paper return, I'm okay with that.  If I had some indication that they had received my return I would be inclined to continue to wait for them to process it.  Absent that I'm afraid that my return has been lost in transit and if/when they get caught up on the backlog of returns I won't have any way to realize that mine was missing and will end up having to file again anyhow.  

So when that day arrives, if anyone can kindly explain how I can e-file my Federal return without electronically filing a duplicate State return (which was already mailed in), I would greatly appreciate it.  

Thanks!