Roxana 5
Returning Member

Please help I'm on SSI and my son claimed me on his taxes now I can't get a simultaneous check

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

To remove you as a dependent he will have to file a 2019 federal amended tax return, Form 1040X.  He would have to pay back the $500 Other Dependent credit he received on the federal tax return for claiming you as a dependent.

If he amends his tax return, you will not be able to apply for the stimulus payment until after his 2019 amended return has been processed by the IRS.  In a normal year the IRS takes about 4 months to process an amended return.  Due to the pandemic and limited staffing the IRS is taking much, much longer to process paper tax returns.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you could be his dependent and therefore he properly claimed you.  here are the rules.

you are a Qualifying Relative and hence his dependent if

• your gross income for 2019 less than $4,200
  • he provided over ½ your support

now let's try to clarify something.  SSI is technically supplemental security income and not the regular social security benefits.

If you were collecting SSI, you cannot be claimed as a dependent. The gross income test under the Qualifying Relative rule is $4,200 excludes ONLY non-taxable Social Security. SSI is NOT Social Security even though it's not taxed. If you were collecting Social Security and it was your only income it's not taxed so you meet the gross income test under the Qualifying Relative rule.

Roxana 5
Returning Member

He said he wasn't going to file anything I'm not trying to get him in trouble i just don't understand  how the irs would  do this and no inform from me

Don't worry about it ... you can apply for it on the 2020 return just let him know he CANNOT claim you on the 2020 return or you will make waves for him.

Roxana 5
Returning Member

There's no reason for him to claim me. I was told that irs has a new forum coming out for recovery of my simosas ck

@Roxana 5 wrote:
There's no reason for him to claim me. I was told that irs has a new forum coming out for recovery of my simosas ck

You have to file a 2020 tax return to be eligible for the stimulus payment.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/federal-taxes/help/stimulus-package-resources-for-your-2020-taxes/...

@Roxana 5 Are you using your Social Security number as a username in this forum?

This is a public web site that can be seen by anyone—including scammers and would-be identity thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  Please remove the personal information you posted here ASAP by returning to your post and clicking the three little blue dots on the upper right to edit your post.

I am alerting the moderators to change it for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Roxana 5 And if your son is claiming you as a dependent and he should not be able to claim you then tell him to STOP it.  You can file a return of your own that says you cannot be claimed and mail it.  The IRS will sort it out--and he may face repayment of credits he received for claiming you plus penalties.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**