I think I have filed all of my tax report WRONG WAY since 2016. Need your help

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

I'm an international student holding an F-1 Visa, who came to America in September 2016.

To help you understand my situation easily, I'll write down the timeline and what I did each year.

In September, came to America and start studying abroad. I didn't have any job at the time.

"I didn't file a tax report because I didn't know how to do it."

I started a part time job on campus. I filed the tax report but used the "1040EZ" form.

I did not know much about the tax form, and my roommate at the time told me just to use the form so I did. I'm not sure if I was supposed to use the 1040 NR form.. I also didn't turn in the 8843 form.

(Note: Submitted "1040EZ", without the "8843" form)

Pretty much the same as what I did in 2017. I kept doing the part time job on campus.

However, I used the "1040" form, without the 8843 form.

(Note: Submitted "1040" form, without the "8843" form)

I kept doing the part time job on campus, and started an internship under the CPT course. (Having two jobs LEGALLY). I used the "1040" form for my two jobs.

I had an American girlfriend at the time, and she told me that I can apply for the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) by submitting the 8863 form. I told her I'm not considered as a resident alien since I didn't live in America more than 5 years, but she said I am eligible because I can pass the substantial presence test. However, still, I don't understand this because my status is F-1 visa. What's funny is that my girlfriend even talked to a CPA, and the CPA also agreed that I'm eligible to apply for it. So I did it and received the tax refund.

(Note: Submitted "1040" form for my two jobs, without the "8843" form. I also submitted "8863" form for the AOTC)

It's still going on, and I'd like to fix what I did wrong.

Once again, thanks for taking the time for my concerns.

I think I should have used the "1040 NR" form and should have submitted the "8843" form.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track, and if not, how to correct the things.

I have heard that there can be a penalty if I filed my tax report wrong so I'd like to get it corrected.

Thank you and hope you have a great day!