Why did I receive $88 instead of the $747 I was supposed to for my state taxes?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Once filed the TT program has no control over what the feds/state do with the return or the amount of the refund they send.   When a different amount is sent a letter of explanation is also mailed in the following weeks.

Check online with the state to see if you can see the reason before the letter arrives ... 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

View solution in original post

You made what IRS calls a 'miscalculation'. Otherwise knows as a mistake.

State noticed it and corrected your return for you.

MY STATE REFUND WAS LESS THAN I EXPECTED

The state will send you a letter explaining the change.  TurboTax does not get any feedback from your state after your return is accepted, so no one at TT knows why your state refund was less.   Did you owe back taxes, child support, or student loans?  Traffic fines, etc.?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

Did you file both a state return and a federal return? If so, $747 most likely is the total of both refunds you are due, and at this point you have only received one of the two refunds you are due.  There are other possibilities too, already identified in this thread.