hert-ness

I am trying to submit my extension since before midnight US Central. Nothing happens when I "transmit my returns" Anyone else having a problem submitting an extension?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

This is happening to me as well. The initial extension was rejected for an untrue reason (the pin that Turbotax said could be ANY number didn't match what was in the e-file database...which is preposterous if it can be ANY number).

What are we supposed to do now?! 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you filed a federal extension on or before the July 15 tax deadline, but your extension got rejected, you have until July 20 to either resubmit or mail your extension.

To mail your extension, you can download and print Form 4868, complete it, and get it postmarked before 11:59 p.m. on July 20. Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.

If you owe, you can get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated federal income tax due. Just make sure to choose Extension as your reason for payment. This lets you avoid having to file a separate form and you’ll get a confirmation number for your records.

Keep in mind that if you have a refund coming from the IRS, there's no penalty for failing to file your tax return by the deadline, even if you don't ask for an extension.

What if my state extension was rejected?

Is my stimulus payment the reason my extension was rejected?

@gr8dnelt

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cakarnik

I didn't even get that far.  Has anybody been successful?

venus20

Same here, I've tried everything, different browsers, devices, enabling popups and clearing cookies. I asked to be called and just got the callback but no one picked up and then it hung up.  This is so stressful.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you don't have your AGI, or your extension gets rejected for the wrong AGI, here are 2 options:

1. Recommended: Pay your taxes at IRS Direct Pay (this also automatically gives you an extension).
  2. Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and get it postmarked before 11:59 p.m. July 15. Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.

If you filed prior to the deadline, but were rejected, you have until July 20 to mail in your extension.

@venus20

@cakarnik

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ratface76

i got as far as clicking i am not a robot.   then nothing would happen until verification expired.  over and over and over again.  sadly turbotax has been an utter fail this year.  will discuss my inability to finish the final step of filing for another thread.

foreign1

For the past 3 days I have been trying to e-file - turbo tax reports that it cannot recognize my phone number. I didn't manage to e-file before the deadline and I haven't managed to make a payment for taxes due on the IRS site. The only thing turbotax did swiftly was to charge me for using the software. 

foreign1

Same here, I haven't been able to file or to pay anything directly at the IRS. Not sure what to do next