How to use TurboTax to fill out Tax form 1040X

I completed the taxes on TurboTax but it keeping rejected. I know I have to fill out a  form 1040X but when I when to the page I have no idea how to fill it. I want to know where or can TurboTax help me fill out 1040X.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Why are you filing an amendment if you have not filed an original return?  Is it due to the non-filer form?

If you submitted the non-filer form, it was processed by the IRS as an original filed return.  Any subsequent filing cannot be filed electronically; it has to be mailed in.

However, here are two other options:

1. You don’t need to fill out the 1040X to get your return processed.  All you need to do is indicate in a cover letter to your 1040 that you filed a return to get the stimulus check and that this is a corrected return.
  2. You can simply write ‘1040X amended return’ on the top of the paper 1040.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, I already turn in my original return, but the information is incomplete, that’s why I said I have to do 1040X. It is my first time doing taxes, and I have no idea how to fill in. My college helps me fill out my original return but now doing Covin 19. All resource that I know was close. Did you know any resource will be helpful for my situation?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You said your return keeps getting rejected.  So did you actually file your original return and it got accepted?

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The original return got accepted. Sorry, use the confusing way to example. After I got the replacement back, my friend told me that something was missed on my 1040 tax form like scholarship and internship payment. That's why I began to use Google to fill out the taxes. Turobox is the first one on the search. I think I followed the Introduction to creating other taxes; that's why every single time I hit submit, it got rejected. That's why I posted this just want to know is there any way I can fill the information to 1040X automatically.

Did you use Turbo Tax to file the original return?   What do you mean after you got the replacement back?  What did you get back?  From where?  You mean your Refund?

If you didn't use Turbo Tax to file the original return,

To amend a return done by another company or by hand, you would first have to fill out a new return in Turbo Tax (and pay for it) like you were doing it for the first time and hopefully come out with the same results as your original filed return. Then when it exactly matches what you filed and amounts are the same for every line on the 1040 tell Turbo Tax you want to file by mail and print out the original return so TT thinks it was filed, then you can do the amended return.

For a current year return you can use either the Online version or the Desktop CD/Download Software. Do an original Online return here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online

It would be easier to use the Desktop CD/Download program. Then you can fill out the original return using the Forms Mode.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download

Then How to Amend a current year return,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/00/123845...

View solution in original post

I didn't use Turbo Tax to file the original return. My college helps me file the original return, and yes, I mean Refund.

And Thank You, I think I know where I am doing wrong. When I use Turbo Tax to file the return, I add the miss information that the original return didn't have it like W-2 or scholarship. Maybe that's why Turbo Tax rejected the information that I submit.