If my only income was $1050.00 a month alimony for the last 5 months of 2019 do I have to file taxes? Also I can't get a stimulus if I don't file?

I haven't worked for 17 years, my husband left me and I received alimony for the last 5 months of the year.  Just found out my X filed seperately and didn't include me.  I can't get a stimulus unless I file?
Carl
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If your total income from all sources for the 2019 tax year is less than $12,300 you do not need to bother filing a tax return.

However, if you have self-employment income of more than $400, then you are required to file a tax return. With only alimony income, you would not be required to file a return at all. Though I do question how you survived the entire tax year on only $5,250.

To register for the stimulus without filing at tax return, go to https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You are not required to file a tax return if your only income is the $5,250 of alimony that you received. 

You can provide the necessary information to receive an economic impact payment ("stimulus check") here: Non-Filers payment registration.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bees
Level 7

Addressing only the alimony question

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act enacted new tax rules regarding spousal support payments, also known as alimony. In divorces finalized after January 1, 2019, the person paying spousal support can no longer deduct the amount from their taxes. For recipients, spousal support payments are no longer considered taxable income.Jan 15,2019

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/clarification-changes-to-deduction-for-certain-alimony-payments-effec...

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
Carl
Level 15

For recipients, spousal support payments are no longer considered taxable income.

If that's the case, that means you have less than $4,150 of taxable income and someone else "could" qualify to claim you as a dependent on their tax return. If someone else does "in fact" claim you as their dependent, then you do not qualify for a stimulus payment.