I need my ip pin

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You have to get that from the IRS.

How do I get my 6-digit IP PIN?

Most taxpayers don't need an an IP PIN — the IRS only issues them in select cases.

If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can:

• Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days)

TurboTax is unable to issue IP PINs and you won't find them on your tax paperwork. You can only get IP PINs from the IRS.

View solution in original post

I need the pin number for my card

Kin39

I need a pin please I need my money 

@Kin39  If you need an IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN), you must get that from the IRS.  See my post above on how to get your IP PIN.

If you don't need an IP PIN but instead need your 2018 AGI to e-file your 2019 return, you would get that from your 2018 tax return.

How do I find last year’s AGI?

The IRS requires your 2018 AGI to verify your identity for e-filing. If you're paper-filing your return, you won't need your AGI because those are manually processed.

There are a few places you can get your 2018 AGI:

• If you filed your 2018 taxes with TurboTax, sign in and go down to Your tax returns & documents. Select View adjusted gross income (AGI).
  • If you didn’t file your taxes with TurboTax in 2018, the best place to get last year's AGI is from the 1040 form you filed with the IRS. Look on page 2, line 7. If you filed a 1040NR, it'll be on line 35.
  • If you're having trouble locating your 2018 return, the second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2018 return. Both versions will include your AGI.

If you didn't file a 2018 federal tax return (or you haven't filed one yet), enter 0 as your AGI.

Married Filing Separately in 2018 but filing jointly in 2019?

Filed jointly in 2018 but are Married Filing Separately in 2019?

You won't find your AGI on your W-2 or 1099 form because those forms don't take into account over a dozen above-the-line deductions that go into calculating your AGI.

View solution in original post

ychang227

IRS gave me 6 digit IP PIN number for e-file.

Your Turbotax is asking only 5 digits and I can't enter my 6 digits.

Can you help??

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Those are 2 different numbers @ychang227.   The 6 digit number is an Identity Protection Pin and it must be entered in the IP PIN field, see below.   The 5 digit number is a number you chose last year when e-filing.  It (or your 2018) is needed to e-file.   This link explains the difference. 

To add your IP Pin (identity protection) - - 

1. Open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for IP PIN (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.
    • If you need to remove the IP PIN, answer No instead.
  4. Select Continue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Oakken86

I filed my E-file and they rejected me cause I don't have my IP PIN and I'm trying to get it cause I am subject to identity theft

Your only choice right now is to mail in the return and you do not need to use the IP PIN when mailing. 

If you want to use  an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can:

• Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days)

@Oakken86 wrote:

I filed my E-file and they rejected me cause I don't have my IP PIN and I'm trying to get it cause I am subject to identity theft

At this point, it is a moot point because IP-Pin's only apply to e-filed tax returns and after Oct 15,2020 e-file ended for do-it-yourself 2019 software that can only be printed and mailed now.  IPPins are not used on mailed tax returns.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@Oakken86 wrote:

If you received an IP PIN but misplaced it, call 800-908-4490.

There is a place on the 1040 for the IP PIN and if you have one it should be entered ... failing to enter it will/can delay the processing of the return ...  mailed in returns are taking 4 months or more to process right now.

1.png

Can turbotax recover my ip pin for me 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you are looking for your IP PIN, I am attaching a TurboTax instruction link for your reference:

IP PIN

An Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) is a 6-digit number that the IRS gives taxpayers who were victims of tax-related identity theft.  The IP PIN validates a Social Security number's true owner and prevents future tax fraud. Most taxpayers don't need one.  If taxpayer is a confirmed victim of identity theft and the IRS has resolved their tax account issues, IRS will mail them a CP01A Notice with their IP PIN each year.  For more information, click here: What is IP PIN

@Mydoggy666

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Mydoggy666 wrote:

Can turbotax recover my ip pin for me 

No.  An IPPIN would be of no value if a 3rd party could obtain it. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**