Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@Canaveral wrote:

First time user of Turbotax.  Was 1.5 hours in and the software suggested I upgrade from Deluxe to Premier for additional itemization. I hit yes and the upgrade happened. When the software relaunched all my work was lost.  I found the only .tax file on my Mac and it was empty.  Any suggestions on how to get my work back?  From what I have read, I should have been saving my work, I guess I figured that in 2020 software would be autosaving. Any ideas or is this just a really annoying learning experience?  It stings that as part of my $30 upgrade I lost all that work...  Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm not sure what you meant by "additional itemization."   If you are using desktop software (CD/download), the Deluxe and Premier editions both prepare the same forms.  They differ only in the amount of help and guidance.  Premier has more help/guidance with investments (stocks, bonds, mutual funds) and rental/royalty property.  

"I found the only .tax file on my Mac and it was empty."

I'm not sure what that means.   Is that a file ending in *.tax2019?   Had you never saved a copy of the *.tax2019 file you had been working on?  i.e., was that 1.5 hours the first and only session you've had?

I don't use a Mac, so I can't comment much on your issue.  You may get some comments in this thread, but in the meantime, I'm going to ask someone using a Mac to assist you when they are next around.

@macuser_22  Are you please able to assist here when you are next in the forum?  Thanks.

When I'm working on my return, I occasionally save during the session.  And after every session I copy the *.tax2019 data file to a flash drive--just in case--since I've seen some horror stories over the years of using this forum.  Luckily, since I've been doing that, I've never lost the data file, but it feels good to know I have a back up.   Hopefully, macuser_22 or another Mac user may be able to suggest something for your situation.