I didn't file 2018 taxes. I did buy a TT subscription for filing the taxes, though. What process, if at all, can I follow on this website to file 2018 taxes?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@ nehamalhotra23  wrote:  "I didn't file 2018 taxes. I did buy a TT subscription for filing the taxes, though. What process, if at all, can I follow on this website to file 2018 taxes?"

You used the term "subscription."  Please describe what you bought--TurboTax desktop software subscription, or did you pay for 2018 Online TurboTax?   It's not clear how you are using that term.

For example, are you a TurboTax Advantage member with an annual subscription for the desktop software?   If so, there should be a 2018 program download in your account that you can use to prepare the 2018 return.  We can tell you how to look once it's clear what you mean.

Or did you pay for Online TurboTax 2018 but never filed?   If so, we can tell you how to ask TurboTax Support for the 2018 download software.  You should not have to pay again.

The 2018 return cannot be prepared online, and it cannot be efiled.  It will need to be printed, signed, dated, and mailed.  It's a good idea to mail by a method that has tracking, such as certified mail, priority mail, etc.

If you have both Federal and state returns, you need to mail each one separately to its respective tax agency. 

NOTE:   If it turns out that you started and paid for a 2018 return in last year's 2018 Online TurboTax, we can tell you how to download the *.tax2018 data file, if you wish, to continue it in the 2018 desktop software without starting over.

Thank you for your prompt response! Yes, I paid for and started the process using Online version TurboTax Deluxe 2018 but never filed.

- Would it be possible for me to use the software to fill the forms (I understand that actual filing will be offline)? 

- How can download the software without having to pay again?

@nehamalhotra23 wrote:

Thank you for your prompt response! Yes, I paid for and started the process using Online version TurboTax Deluxe 2018 but never filed. - Would it be possible for me to use the software to fill the forms (I understand that actual filing will be offline)? 

- How can download the software without having to pay again?

If you paid for 2018 Online Deluxe, you can phone TurboTax and tell them your situation and ask for a complimentary download of the 2018 software.   I'll tell you how to reach TurboTax Support below.

Once you install the 2018 software, you can either start from scratch, or if you want to finish the 2018 return you started online, you can download the *.tax2018 data file and open it in the 2018 software.   To download the tax file, go to "Your Tax Returns & Documents", expand that section, and choose tax year 2018.

If your *.tax2018 data file has a state return in it, before opening the file you need to download the state program into your installed software first, or you'll get an error message.  To do that, you may have to start a dummy 2018 return just long enough to download the state program.

Minimum system requirements for Windows version:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901571-minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-windows-software

Minimum system requirements for Mac version:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899173-minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-mac-software

Support hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern), Mon-Fri

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form to get a phone number:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

View solution in original post

Thanks a bunch! 

realpeg18

I bought 2018 turbo tax disc and it is not loading, it appears to be loading 2021??

@ realpeg18 wrote:

I bought 2018 turbo tax disc and it is not loading, it appears to be loading 2021??

Hopefully, you are not using Online TurboTax by mistake.  We have seen some people install the CD then end up in Online TurboTax (web browser version) by mistake, and Online TurboTax is only for 2021.

Otherwise, you'll need to describe your situation more.

Is this something you bought recently?  Did you buy it directly from TurboTax or elsewhere?

So if you are indeed using the 2018 desktop software and NOT Online TurboTax, please describe what happens when you launch TurboTax after installation?   Where do you get an indication that it's loading 2021?  

The CD has both Windows and Mac versions on it.  Which is your operating system?